Primarily JANVIKAS sees its role in promoting concrete and sustainable change in the lives of the poor by:
Supporting voluntary efforts at the grassroots level.
Setting up and spinning off issue-based youth/ community led institutions to service/work with the marginalized.
Enhancing capacities of different levels of personnel in development organizations.
Motivating and training youth and women to commit themselves to nation building.
At present, Janvikas with its current Programmes/ Units viz. Youth Resource Center, Udaan, Paryavaran Mitra and HIDRC is involved directly addressing the following issues:
- Caste based discrimination with specific focus on manual scavenging by supporting 13 partners across 5 states.
- Communal violence and justice for the violence affected people of Gujarat and Orissa.
- Issues of discrimination, exclusion and dominance of majority culture in primary education system in Gujarat and providing ideological and capacity building support to national educational institutions.
- Human Rights violations by industries by ensuring proper implementation of environmental and other laws through judicial and legislative advocacy.
- Issues of internal governance and quality of human resources of civil society organizations by strengthening their governance and capacity building of staff.