Started as a training and support organization in 1987, JANVIKAS has today grown into a leading “Organizational Development Institute”, forming a strong coalition of value based organizations in the social development field. Today JANVIKAS is recognized as a National Resource and Support Organisation known primarily for setting up, supporting, incubating and nurturing strategic development interventions in response to emerging socioeconomic-political realities. The major focus of JANVIKAS is on women's empowerment, gender awareness, ecology & environment, social justice, addressing issues of education and livelihood for children and youth belonging to weaker socio-economic strata, capacity building and support to grassroots organizations etc. Over the last 25 years, JANVIKAS has grown into a web of 12 decentralized
autonomous institutions which were started as project initiatives of JANVIKAS.
Primarily JANVIKAS sees its role in promoting concrete and sustainable change in the lives of the poor by:
Supporting voluntary efforts at the grassroots level.
Setting up and spinning off issue-based youth/ community led institutions to service/work with the marginalized.
Enhancing capacities of different levels of personnel in development organizations.
At present, Janvikas with its current Programmes/ Units viz. Youth Resource Center, Udaan, Paryavaran Mitra and HIDRC is involved directly addressing the following issues:
- Caste based discrimination with specific focus on manual scavenging by supporting 13 partners across 5 states.
- Communal violence and justice for the violence affected people of Gujarat and Orissa.
- Issues of discrimination, exclusion and dominance of majority culture in primary education system in Gujarat and providing ideological and capacity building support to national educational institutions.
- Human Rights violations by industries by ensuring proper implementation of environmental and other laws through judicial and legislative advocacy.
- Issues of internal governance and quality of human resources of civil society organizations by strengthening their governance and capacity building of staff.